Futuron was a subtheme of LEGO Space released between 1987 and 1990. The theme concerned a group of peaceful civilian space explorers that competed against the astronauts from Blacktron. Futuron astronauts largely reprised the colour scheme and logo of their predecessors from Classic Space. With more than 17 different sets, it was one of the larger Space factions.
Taking over from Classic Space and inheriting its white-and-blue colour scheme, "Futuron" depicted an austere yet bustling settlement on the surface of a planetary body, probably Earth's moon. Its minifigures came in many colours (red, blue, yellow and black) similar to Classic Space, but all shared the same uniform — a zipper crossing from hip to shoulder with colour on top and white below — as well as light blue-tinted helmet visors. Instead of a main ship, the theme centered around the 6990 Monorail Transport System, which featured a battery-powered train system and some twenty linear feet of track.
The Minifigures of the first Space Police theme had the same torso pieces as black Futuron astronauts, but had different arms, legs and helmets.
Vehicles and Facilities
Futuron comprised two large ground-based installations, the Monorail Transport System, which was also the subtheme's biggest and most popular set, and a rocket launch base, but did not include many large spaceships. The biggest spacecraft was the Stardefender "200". Other notable ships include the Aero-Module and the Galactic Starship. All other spacecraft in the theme had less than 90 pieces. On the other hand, Futuron featured a relatively large number of ground vehicles, including four bigger trucks or rovers (Lunar Transporter Patroller, Crater Crawler, Interplanetary Rover and the Lunar MPV vehicle) and a piloted walker robot.
Many Classic Space sets of the years 1987 and 1988, such as the Polaris-I Space Lab and the Sonar Transmitting Cruiser are often mistaken as Futuron sets, due to the similar colourscheme, but they still included the old astronaut Minifigures.
- In LEGO Universe, one of the shirts that can be found from random enemy drops on Crux Prime is a black Futuron shirt. However, it is slightly different from the original, in having a black triangle in the lower left area of the back of the shirt, in the style of recent minifigure torsos with printing on the front and back.
Please see Category:Futuron sets
- Other appearances
- 9355 DACTA Space Theme Set (1990), contained several Futuron torsos.
- Late Classic Space sets in Futuron colours
- 1499 Twin Starfire (1987)
- 6750 Sonic Robot (1987)
- 6780 XT Starship (1987)
- 6808 Galaxy Trekkor (1987)
- 6827 Strata Scooter (1987)
- 6849 Satellite Patroller (1987)
- 6972 Polaris-I Space Lab (1987)
- 6783 Sonar Transmitting Cruiser (1988)