The following section is an unfinalized version of the planned move process.
- Read-only mode
- Prevents data loss during migration caused by new data being put in an already moved chunk on old server.
- Move images
- We'll do this first as there's a lot of stuff.
- Stop PHP to not get OOMs when dumping tables.
- Server throws OOMs regardless if PHP is still running. Can't dump databases if the servers not up.
- Dump directly to ShoutWiki server using MySQL dump.
- Put read-only site back up (start PHP)
- Import dumps on ShoutWiki
- Uncomment things so we've got all the tables in use.
- Run the migration script
- Switch Varnish backend for Brickimedia to point to Bellow.
- Clean remaining data off Brickimedia server and decommission it.
We'd have like to have moved Brickimedia in already, but it's been an insanely busy month for the team. Unfortunately, ShoutWiki is nobody's day job. I've been informed by Ajraddatz that the current server has been renewed for a month, which throws us a lifeline we needed as our working plan to get the move done today is falling behind schedule.
The DNS is now managed to us, and all site traffic will begin to go through our frontend cache as opposed to CloudFlare as soon as the DNS changes propagate. This will allow to switch the Brickimedia traffic straight to the ShoutWiki server when the time comes for everyone within the matter of milliseconds.
We've started to conduct testing on our scripts to combine the user databases.
Please ensure that if you currently have an account at ShoutWiki.com that you change your email addresses in your preferences on both Brickimedia and ShoutWiki so that they match. This will help us combine accounts and attribute edits and revisions correctly.
- I changed my email on ShoutWiki to match the email here and am still waiting on a confirmation email to be sent. --ToaMeiko (talk) 17:43, 6 March 2017 (UTC)
- Apparently my reply didn't save... it was something like this - Request it resent (Special:Prefs). When we fixed Bricki's email (I mean, within reason, it still seems to struggle on the server) we fixed a number of things, including a few we spotted at ShoutWiki. Google seems to be messing about with its email acceptance algorithms again so a lot of mail was being rejected. This should all be fixed now on ShoutWiki. --Lewis Cawte (talk) 09:43, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
- Hi, just wondering if there's a vague estimate as to when we might be moving? From what I understand, the extra month with CloudFlare's just about up, so was just curious about what was happening since there hasn't been an update in the last few weeks :S
09:55, 27 March 2017 (UTC)
- RamNode* I've emailed Adrian asking him to renew it. I've been rather busy at work this month, but we believe we've ironed out all the problems with the script. We've now looked back through our old notes and realised we've got to sort the Meta/Images mess out before we do the move because otherwise we'll be dealing with a whole mess of Bricki accounts and ShoutWiki accounts. Unfortunately, the way images are currently set up isn't the easiest of things to reverse. With help from the developer community, we think we've worked out how to do it, but I need time to test it. I'll also need to take the site down again (because there's no memory for MySQL to give us the data currently) so I can grab the relevant backups I need to test that. I'm free today so I'll try and start that today. --Lewis Cawte (talk) 10:18, 27 March 2017 (UTC)