- For the Brickipedia's IRC channel, see Brickipedia:IRC.
The guidelines for chatting are simple:
- Be normal
- Be nice
- Be appropriate
Although those three should be sufficient, there are a few generally accepted rules of etiquette:
- Stay on topic - If there is an active discussion, don't interrupt with a completely unrelated topic, unless it's something that needs immediate attention. Joking around is allowed and encouraged, but don't interfere with serious discussions.
- Nothing controversial - Steer clear of political or religious topics. They can ignite flame wars very easily.
- Don't make sexist, racist, ableist, or any other discriminatory remarks
- Don't advertise
- Don't link to external sites, videos or images that contain content like that listed above unless you have the expressed consent of all users who would be able to access it.
- Kickban sparingly (mods) - Chat banning is intended to be a last resort when a user is being disruptive and refuses to stop. Give the offending user several warnings before banning; be polite, but stern.
- Use common sense
- Don't solicit users for personal information - This includes name, address, gender, age, email addresses, and passwords.
- Avoid making other users feel uncomfortable or offended. If another user is made uncomfortable or is offended by something done in chat, although what was done was not against any rule directly, the topic, mention, or whatever caused the user to feel uncomfortable or offended should not be discussed or spoken of while that user may see it, as long as it is reasonable to prohibit such things being said, mentioned, or discussed.
It should also be noted that "chat invasions" (that is, premeditated attempts to have large amounts of users join a single chatroom simultaneously with the purpose of causing a disruption), will not be tolerated.
Users who commit a "serious offence", such as threatening other users or severely abuse others may receive a "perma-block" warning, which can be given only by an administrator. If a user commits two such offenses, they will be blocked from chat permanently, without the chance to appeal the block. This is to ensure that chat runs smoothly, and to eliminate users from chat who have a negative influence.